Well, I have completly neglected my blog this summer as we have been so busy! Today was the first day of school, and back to reality begins. I have thoroughly enjoyed having Daniel around more the last couple months while school has been out, but he was back at it today and already has more days booked this week and next! (thank you Lord!) We had such a great summer although I would have been fine to enjoy another month of it!
We started off our summer with a trip to Calgary for a Derksen cousin wedding (which was beautiful!) We began our first real road trip with both kids which ovbiously didn't go as planned but actually went better then we expected. Our kids travelled wonderfully and Dexter didn't even need to watch a movie, he was content to sing and play farm and babble our ears off pretty much the entire trip. Lexi also travelled amazingly which was great! 
Thanks to my dad we got to stay 2 nights in a hotel (he gets some free stays for staying so much with work) which although far less romantic then it used to be was still a lot of fun! The first night Dexter woke up, made it over to my side of the bed, found my cup of water and dumped it in a suitcase all before we even woke up! Thankfully it was daniel's suitcase and not mine! haha! The second night was a little less eventfull although still entertaining to hear Dexter talk in his sleep. And even though we had a king size bed, it felt like a twin because we had to sleep with Lexi in between us and even then (at 5 months) she moved so much that w were literally hugging the edge of the bed while she slept sideways up-side down and whatever other way she could!
That Sunday, the kids and I carried on to sask while Daniel flew home to work. The kids and I enjoyed a week and a half hanging out with family (although I do not want to spend that much time apart from my hubby again!!) , then Daniel joined us for the last week to celebrate grandma and Grandpa Douma's 50th. What a beautiful celebration we had! You can definetly see God's faithfulness throughout the generations in that family and I feel very blessed to be apart of it. 
What a blessing to have so many believers in one family!! Grandpa Douma spoke at the 50th and shared this verse. "Unless the Lord builds the house, its builders labour in vain." Psalm 127:1a This blessed me so much because I just came to that realization (once again) that its not about us,but all about HIM.
Shortly after we got home from sask, we went on 9our first family camping trip. With our car literally full to the brim, we took off to good ole' noisey creek! I have so many great memories there as a kid and it seemed like the normal thing to do to bring our kids out there too! We really had a blast even though it was a short trip, we cooked over the fire, swam in the lake, played with some cousins and ate a lot of s'mores!! Dexter and Daniel even caught a little fish (i'm not sure which one was more proud of it!) 



Just after we got home from camping our first of many company this summer arrived!! We really enjoyed the different family who came to stay and the kids definetly loed the extra attention! While the different groups of company came and left we spent A LOT of time at the river where both Dexter and Lexi loved to play and splash a round. Pretty sure Lexi ate way too much sand, but it didn't seem to bother her! We also did a lot of raspberry picking (yum!) froze and canned peaches and just enjoyed sweet memories as a little family, 
Another priveledge we had this summer was going out to Gardom Lake Bible camp where Daniel was the camp speaker for a week. It was so encouraging to hear Daniel speak and see lives changed for the Lord. He has a wonderful gift of not only speaking to the kids, but building relationships with them (and the staff) and being an encouragement to them also!
and just like that summer is over!
my dedicated fishermen catching walleye in sask!
I loved reading about your summer Renee! Sounds like you had a lot of fun...and you're right, it was way too short. Lexi's bathing suit is super cute, and I love the picture of Dex and Daniel with their catch!
ReplyDeleteP.S. I can totally relate to your story about sleeping with Lexi; Last summer we went camping and Anika would end up sideways with her feet in Adam's back, and her head in my back...and we'd be squished up against the side of the tent. How can they take up so much room when they are so little??
ReplyDeleteI feel like we spent every second day at some beach somewhere but it still seems like it wasn't enough. I caught myself daydreaming yesterday of moving somewhere that was hot more than two months a year....lol
ReplyDelete(of course by hot I mean over 30 because I am not swimming unless its over 30!!)
Anyway hopefully I will run into daniel soon - gotta get workin!