So, I have never been a fan of indoor dogs, I would love to have one outside one day, but I don't want to deal with all the "dog-stuff" inside. On the other hand, I have always wanted kids, and just recently I am noticing so of the similarities, and why some people urge you to get a dog first to see if you are ready for kids! Let me share with you a few similarities between indoor dogs and kids!
- They drool; Both my kids started drooling a lot by 6 or 7 weeks (even though Dexter didn't pop a tooth until 7 months and Lexi doesn't have one yet either!) If you come to my house or hold my kids you can expect a drool pool on your shoulder and dried drool spot on the couch d floor! (that's why we have leather!)
- They both will "do their business" on the floor! Potty trained or not, accidents happen!
- They both get into things!; I like to think I am pretty good at knowing where my kids are most of the time, but every now and then when i cange the laundry or use the bathroom, they are unattended for a momnet. Dexters favorite thing to get into right now is the diaper bag! He knows in there he will find some sort of chapstick or lip gloss and gum. On several occasions I havcaught him with 2 or 3 pieces of fully wrapped and partially chewed gum in his mouth stating "ummm, goood mommy!"
- They smell! Both dogs and kids have no inhibitions when it comes to passng gas! and it always happens at awkward times like grocery shopping and church, to which I try to say loudly enough "Dexter say excuse me" or "Lexi, you little stinker" so people know it was the kids and not me, but then is followed by Daniel saying "aw Renee!" so by now everybody is convinced it was me and I am trying to pass the blame to the kids!
- They both like to make their presence known; Lexi is not even 5 months and for some time now already she likes to be heard! If we leave her to play on the floor or she is sitting on my knee she is usually babbling and gurgling just to be a part of the conversation. (yes she will keep up fine at family gatherings on both sides!)
- They both drink out of the toilet! Dexter has graduated from throwing toys and garbage into the toilet to nearly fully submersing his head into the toilet! You'd think he would know it's gross because he uses the toilet, but I think that just intriges him more as to "where does it go?"
OK, I know that last one might just be my kid, but if you have kids you must recognize some of the other similarities and more! However, I still do not want an inside dog, and I wouldn't trade these moments with my kids for anything! It is far easier for me to extend grace to my kids then to a dog!
A couple verses that I have been challenged with in these situations are...
"But you, O Lord are a compassionate and gracious God, slow to anger, abounding in Love and faithulness." Psalm 86:15
because that is how I want to react to my kids and husband! and...
"She is clothed with strength and dignity; she can laugh at the days to come"
because even when cleaning "accidents" up off the floor I want (me and my kids) to remember these days at home together as fun and remember that God has given me the strength to do it!
and the last one is in honour of our anniversary! It was our big 04! last friday was our 4th anniversary and though we didn't get to go out and celebrate just the two of us (yet!) I, along with the rest of Enderby, got to hear Daniel deliver an address to the graduates at their ceremony on Friday. He did such a great job encouraging them that they are fearfully and wonderfully made, challenging them to find their potential and purpose in life and to run the race in a way that they will win the prize! It was so neat to see Daniel speak to them as a teacher and youth pastor and be respected as both!
hahaha, this makes me laugh, too bad you didn't get a picture of Dexter today after he dunked his head in my toilet, lol. I love the paralleling of kids to dogs, and I agree that it is easier to extend grace to your kids!
ReplyDeleteHappy Anniversary!
ReplyDeleteThis post is so true! When those kinds of situations happen to me I think about that Trace Adkins song "You're Gonna Miss This"... It's not as spiritual as your verses, but same idea!
I LOVE YOUR BLOG!! You're hilarious, but eloquent. I loved how you included bible verses... i'll take them to heart as i pull things out of the garbage can (micah's favorite new toy)
ReplyDeleteLove you ;)